blog 7

Alright, write about one of the films we watched this week. I hope you have a great spring break. (wooo).

17 Responses to blog 7

1. Your style is unique compared to other folks I’ve read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this site.

2. certainly like your web-site but you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to inform the reality nevertheless I’ll definitely come back again.

3. Samantha Casaburi says:

When we had to watch both of these movies, it was a throw back because the only way I could watch these movies were on a VHS. I forgot how to even work a VCR because it has been so long since I had watched a movie on a VHS. When I was watching The Terminator 2, my VCR was very jumpy and it was hard to see some parts before tracking the movie, which I had forgotten how to do because DVR’s do not need to be tracked before or while watching the movie. Before we were assigned to watch The Terminator 2, I never knew anything about what the Terminator movies were about except for the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger was in the movie. Without having seen the first Terminator it was a little confusing on what exactly was going on. I typically do not like action movies because they have so much violence in them. It was extremely funny to see how much has changed since 1991 in movies, when this movie first came out. This movie shows a lower class of Los Angeles. The robot is trying to get rid of the human race and that is why Sarah Connor wants to kill Dyson for creating this type of thing. Sarah knows the truth of what is going on and is sent to jail for insanity, meanwhile the woman is not really insane. John Connor the new leader of the resistance, who is also Sarah’s son is now trying to stop the robot trying to kill him and protect his mother.

4. April Pratt says:

Pulp Fiction by Quentin Tarantino incorporates four different stories and is considered unorthodox compared to most other mob movies. These stories intermix gradually throughout the movie, jumping back and forth and confusing the viewer, but at the end coming together like a puzzle. Each story creates a different main character and their dialogue. Each character had their own wit, sense of humor and personality, which made the movie enjoyable to watch.
    John Travolta played a mob hit man and didn’t care about other people’s lives, but when it came to Uma Therman, he would do anything to save her. This is shown in the scene where Uma Therman sniffs John Travolta’s heroine thinking it was cocaine and she goes into cardiac arrest. John Travolta’s first instinct was to throw her in the back of his car and take her to his drug dealer to inject her with adrenaline and save her life. This shows his soft side and the compassion he really does have for the people he cares about. I found that scene to be one of my favorite, because no matter how tough people try to act, it really is all a facade, it just takes one big event to prove that to you.

5. Jessica Klett says:

I think the most important quality of a good movie is an introduction that captivates your attention from the get go. Pulp Fiction did exactly this and although I honestly had no idea which way the movie was heading, I knew I had to keep watching. There is something mischievous and uncanny about the dialogue between each of the characters that allowed me to see them as real people. Considering that most of them do drugs or in some cases shoot people that cross their paths, I was surprised that I wasn’t as bothered by it as I normally would be in any other film such as Road to Perdition with Tom Hanks. Maybe it’s because Pulp Fiction has a lot of room for interpretation in addition to added humor. However, at almost every scene I found myself questioning why I liked it so much and even more importantly what it was about the film that made it so appealing. Well, for one thing, the cast is filled with celebrities that even today are consistently well known and recognized. John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis etc. played characters that allowed them to show their full acting potential. The films these actors are and have been in don’t fully portray their style and charisma (a few examples would be John Travolta in Grease, Uma Thurman in the Kill Bill movies and Bruce Willis in the Die Hard series). Call me old fashioned, but I’m a fan for films that are not mainstream and well known. I’ll still watch them if they seem interesting enough and seem to have an actual plot and purpose, but films that make you think after you’ve seen it are the best productions that can be made. Pulp Fiction made me think about the choices myself and others around me make in life. The film is not just about cleaning up a car that has just been infused with brain bits or going on a mission to find your dad’s watch; it’s a portrait that describes why we make the choices we do, what leads us to those decisions and what the end results turn out to be. In the end, I decided that Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies and I really, really hope no one attempts to do a remake in the future.

6. Katelyn Najdek says:

Although I was pretty confused for a good portion of the movie I find Pulp Fiction to be extremely unique. Each portion of the story is very engaging and odd. The characters are each created by their dialogue. The way that Quentin Tarantino creates his characters by giving them quirky and odd dialogue is incredibly memorable. The performances are fantastic, as well as the chemistry between John Travolta and Uma Thurman. The violence is shocking and very unsettling. This movie is considered a masterpiece, because of its storytelling. Although it is totally out of order, in the end it all wraps up perfectly. It is an amazing work of cinematography. In my opinion, however, I found Kill Bill to be better than Pulp Fiction, which is another incredible piece of work by Tarantino. I can watch Kill Bill multiple times, but not Pulp Fiction. Tarantino also organized a great soundtrack, starting with the amazing opening credits. But the real thing that makes this movie so unforgettable is the dialogue. For a movie with such intense action like people being shot, hit by a car, seeing someone put a huge needle into Uma Thurman’s heart, the things I will remember about the movie are the great lines, especially the Big Kahuna burger conversation with Samuel L Jackson. I could honestly feel the extreme tension of the scene and was completely pulled in. I also really enjoyed how it was kind of a mix of the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s style of cinema. However, it will always bother me how we will never know what was in the suitcase.

7. Nadem Choudhury says:

I have watched Pulp Fiction many times since I was a kid. These types of crime movies are my favorite, such as Rock n Rolla, Snatch, and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels by Guy Ritchie. I enjoyed how the plots of these movies are written with different stories and it slowly comes together in the end. It is hard to follow at first, but you notice how each of the characters paths are interconnected. Pulp Fiction was written pretty much like Paradise, but Paradise was harder to understand. I like this narrative style in movies, but not in books. It is kind of a double standard, but visually seeing it is easier than trying to read for my case. As we discussed in class, I noticed a lot of what happens in these movies are not the important part. For example when Marvin is accidently shot, Jules and Vincent did not have any affect from shooting Marvin in the face. It was an accident, but they acted like it was whatever. The important part of this was the conversation they were having, while this all happened. I believe it made the scene easier to watch and the point is to have the audience be emotionless for what happened to Marvin just as Jules and Vincent had no emotions. These types of scenes come up a lot in Guy Ritchie films.

8. Jaclyn Zauderer says:

I really am not into action movies, or movies that involve a lot of violence and fighting. So before I watched Terminator 2 I was not really looking forward. I knew it was a violent film but I had no idea what the first movie was about, so I really went into watching it very clueless. Parts bored me but surprisingly it was not as bad as aI thought. I found myself at times very interested and eager to find out what would happen next. I was drawn into it because of the movies excitement. However, what bothered me was the superhero idea and that the Terminator was not real, and only just a robot with limited functions and abilities. I do not like fictional characters because I always compare movies I see to real life, and when I know that there are no such things as people like the Terminator, I get a little thrown off and dont think into it so much. I wouldnt say I am going to continue seeing action movies like this one but I definitely did not dislike it like I thought I would. Some parts I did not understand, and I didn’t try to think into the deeper meaning of them in the movie, but overall I enjoyed it. I did not hate but I did not love. It was fun to watch a movie for a class though. It was a change from reading, so I would not be upset if I was assigned more movies to watch 🙂

9. Kristen Noy says:

As I watched pulp fiction, all I thought to myself was how confusing and boring the movie was. It bothered me that the movie had different stories that went all over the place. In the end I understood that all of the stories in the movies were interrelated. Pulp fiction reminded me very much of paradise. Not only are they similar by showing us different stories and at the end it hit me how everything was related to each other somehow. I feel like both pulp fiction and paradise had mysteries. Such as who was the whit lady and what was in the suitcase. In the end it doesn’t matter who the white lady was and what was in the suitcase. In my opinion the suitcase contained anything that they thought was important to them, that’s why it glowed when Vincent opened it. Like in paradise where religion was important role, religion was also an important role in pulp fiction. The verse from the bible in the end shows that he has had an epiphany.

10. Elana Gross says:

Terminator 2 is an action thriller type movie, enjoyed by both men and women alike since the early 90’s. At first glance, the movie is a typical film packed with car chases, killer machines, and the “race to save humanity”. However, maybe there is another theme or meaning embedded in the movie. The future is ravaged by machines who have taken over the world and are attempting to wipe out the human race. The creator of the machines, SkyNet, is responsible for this catastrophe. A rebel leader, John Connor is heading the retaliation against the machines. The movie takes place years before this when John is a young boy. A terminator has been sent back in time to kill Connor, to make sure that he does not grow up to become the rebel leader. However, another terminator, California’s very own Arnold Schwarzenneger, has been sent back to save John Connor and protect him and his mother Sarah. The 90’s, the era in which the movie takes place, was a time period which saw new technological innovations, new types of drugs, medicine, and advancements in science. The forthcoming years were cloudy and few knew what the future held. Therefore, it is no surprise that a hit movie in the early 90’s was based on Judgment Day and the ominous future of the human race. Clearly, many people including moviemakers and directors, took advantage of this unknown and spun it into a blockbuster hit. It is important to remember that the time period in which things are created reflects onto that particular movie, book, idea, etc.

11. Frances says:

After watching Pulp Fiction, I was very moved by Samuel Jackson’s performance. Specifically, the moment at the end of the movie when he quotes Isaiah from the bible, really moved me. I felt that the order of the movie could have been interchanged within itself and still would have substantiated as a good movie. As we said in class, the arrangement of chapters in Parable of the Sower are similar to the way the chapters in Pulp Fiction are arranged. I really enjoyed the opening scene in Pulp Fiction, especially the trivial conversation throughout the entirety of the movie. Just like Parable of the Sower, the question arises as to whether or not certain elements within the story matter. For example, in Pulp Fiction, Samuel Jackson’s character was carrying a suitcase filled with a “mysterious” item that glowed a golden yellow. The only certain thing that the viewer is sure of, is that whatever is in the suitcase is a priceless item (or perhaps a feeling of awe is instilled in the people who open it). Regardless of what is in the suitcase, the question arises as to whether or not it matters to know what is inside the suitcase. Similarly, in Parable of the Sower, the book opens with the first line talking about how they shot the white girl first. As the story progresses the reader becomes aware that everyone in the town of Ruby is predominantly African American. The question then arises as to who this “white girl” was; this becomes an overarching question because the reader becomes familiar with all the women in the convent and there is no mention of a white girl. After spending three hundred pages getting to know these characters, one would think they would notice a white girl, so the question further arises as to whether or not it matters who the white girl is. What I got out of Pulp Fiction was a deep religious underlying theme hidden within all the blood, cursing and racist slurs. Although I’m not entirely religious, I appreciated having my conventional thoughts of hit men refuted. The end of Pulp Fiction was amazingly portrayed and showed me the incredible feat a human being can perform as a result of having their faith reinvested- if we could all be so lucky as to experience divine intervention.

12. Anthony Scattaglia says:

I remember watching terminator 2 and enjoying it as a kid but had no understanding or appreciation for the underlying narrative that has become so apparent. I unwittingly took the movie for what it appeared to be at the surface – a blockbuster action film, but a penetrating analysis of the movie uncovers the deeply embedded moral of the film – to be wary of technology. Now while I do not believe technology will be the determining factor that ends the human race or that the human race will end for that matter, I do believe it is an imperative as a society to curtail the excesses of technology. Technology has undeniably raised the standard of living across the world, hastened travel and the spread of information, and saved countless lives with advances in medicine. The main concern technology poses to society is on the issue of privacy. I highly value my privacy and so it was deeply unsettling to discovery my iphone tracks me wherever I go and that facebook and google collect data in regards to my interests and previous searches to develop advertisements directly targeting me. I have nothing to hide but it is unnerving that my every move, my every action is being observed and monitored in some regard. We know too much about one another and at the same time, nothing at all. We think we can comprehend or know a person through their status updates or tweets, their most recent check-in, or photos but these useless fragments of information only offer a glimpse into their life, not who they truly are as a human being. I do not understand the rationale for telling your 400 “closest friends” and the public what you are up to every minute of the day or telling them where you are. Why do several hundred acquaintances and strangers need to know that information?Technology has eroded away basic etiquette and social relations. When we go out with our friends we are talkingwith them but we are rarely engaging them on a truly human level since we are sometimes too pre-occupied with texting or playing a game. It is now nearly impossible to have a simple conversation or dinner without having to compete with their phone for attention. The human experience has become much shallower as a result, but these issues are not inherently the fault of technology since we created it and have and will most likely continue to use it in this irresponsible manner.

13. Jonathan Ching says:

As a comparison, I enjoyed watching Pulp Fiction more than the Terminator 2. I found it to be more humorous, and thought that Tarantino’s ability to confuse the viewer made me curious and baited me to get into the storyline. I liked how Tarantino made the plot of the movie in a non-chronological order. It seems to skip back and forth through time, showing parts of events that seem to not have anything to do with each other. At the end of the movie, all these parts fall into place like a puzzle. I liked how the movie started, with the couple robbing the restaurant, I found that to really attract the viewer because the viewer gets curious due to the fact that Tarantino drops the viewers in the middle of an event. I also liked Samuel L. Jackson’s line from the Bible, and how it effects his life in such a way that he was willing to change his whole life because of it. I also found it funny how for the majority of the movie, it seemed as though the value of life was nonexistent. When John Travola shot the kid in the face, instead of fearing for the kid’s life, he argues with Samuel L. Jackson on who’s fault it was, and the driving skills of Jackson. Also, when Bruce Willis killed the man when boxing, and the woman taxi driver asks about the feelings of Willis when killing the man, Willis kind of shrugs it off. The woman was also very attracted to the idea of death, and it was weird how the woman is completely out of the movie except for that one scene. Overall, I thought Pulp Fiction was very well directed and acted.

14. In my opinion, I both liked and hated terminator 2. If you do not think much into the details or anything really the movie is a wonderful and laughable action film. I was probably one of the few people who watched this movie when I was younger, and then as I do now, I pay little attention into any reasoning for a movie. To me movies are just a thing to watch and enjoy. I have no care for political, religious or another type of motive into movie making. I guess that probably does not help when trying to talk about the movie. What I did like was probably the explosions and fighting, because if a movie is not going to be funny, then at least it has to be something that holds my attention. Although I must say this movie was laughable in ways it was not supposed to be, i.e. – the governators horrible acting and speech skills. But other than that I cannot see why I liked this movie as much as I did when I was younger, maybe it was the action that did it for me, but now I just don’t have the same feeling. Maybe it is because I have come to realize that the terminators complete disregard for human life bothers me. You really cannot realize how precious a life is until you lose it, especially when it is someone young. Which is why I now enjoy Mel brooks and Monty python, humor that is at no ones expense. Overall, I just wanted the movie to be over with; I just cannot handle any more pointless action movies, unless its superheroes, but that is completely different.

15. Ebenhaezer Alwi says:

In my opinion, Terminator 2 was an okay with a comprehensible story line. Of course there were some scenes where the graphics could have been better. Terminator 2 was a movie that caught my eye and makes me curious if there are any sequels to it. Arnold S, (last name too long to spell) acted perfectly fine. The only down side to the movie was, it was too long. The main point of the movie was very clear. We are the controllers of our fate and I believe that to be true. What we do today will affect our future and for those of us who actually believe it need to drill it in the minds of the people living today. We hear the message of high school dropout rates increasing and little do those who drop out realize, they are only hurting themselves and those in their future generation. More of our tax dollars goes to those who are low on income and they simply hurting the economy. (Sorry to say) Going back to the movie, Terminator 2, in my opinion is one of the most interesting movies I have ever seen. Without realizing how our culture shifts between styles, I believe values are lost and forgotten. Depth is lost in our modern world and the life style we live in now is a “so what, I do what I want” attitude. Freedom can either make or break the future and it all depends on what we do today.

16. Alon Aharonof says:

More than often I hear that the end of the world is coming. I often hear that earth will explode itself or humanity will do the job for it. On the one hand humanity pollutes the world to a level which it is really in a danger, while on the other hand in the last couple of decades humanity made tremendous progresses with technology. While some of us might think that it’s too much, some might think that we will destroy our world in our own hand. What is our contribution for these issues? Are we the catalyst to the end of the world?
    The movie “Terminator 2” deals with what so called “The judgment day”. This is the day that the world will actually come to an end. The technology, the same one we rushing to develop, can be the one to kill us all and destroy the world. In that movie humanity creates its own destruction, but as the terminator said “it’s in your nature to destroy yourself”. We are destroying ourselves, but there is nothing we can actually do, because it is simply in our nature to do so.
    Are we really able to stop that race? Are we in capability to relax a bit, look toward our future or our children’s one, and say that we want to make it different? Sarah Connor ends the movie by making a wish, “the unknown future is walking toward us. I face it for the first time in a sense of a hope, because of a machine, a terminator can learn the value of human life, and maybe we can too…” and so we all wish, don’t we?

17. Michael Franceschetti says:

Terminator 2 is considered to be one of the best sci-fi action movies of all time. The film, along with its predecessor The Terminator, brought to the table a brand new vision. Humanity in the future will be locked in a desperate struggle against the machines in a post-apocalyptic world that are controlled by Skynet. The future war depicted in the movie is a nightmare that the human species in 2029 can’t wake up from. The whole world’s cities lay in ruins, there are human remains scattered all over the place, and hums are hanging on for dear life. In this story, machines are shown with a dark side. The creation of artificial intelligence for machines was designed to make our lives easier, but what happens is the machines become self-aware and proceed to exterminate those who created them in the first place. We humans in our time today see technology as a very essential part of our lives. It is all around us. Almost every aspect of our lives is influenced by different sorts of machines like cell phones and our televisions. But what if we advance technology to such a point where we become so incompetent that machines would need to help us run even the simplest tasks? And another concern some people have is that in our time, what if the machines become self-aware? I myself see why people may not be so acceptable to, if it ever happens, the creation of artificial intelligence since this action can be our friend or annihilator.